THE PORTER COUNTY SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNCIL HAS DRUG TESTING KITS AVAILABLE FOR PORTER COUNTY PARENTS OF MINOR CHILDREN. KITS ARE $5 AND TEST OPIATES, COCAINE, AMPHETAMINES, BENZODIAZEPINES, METHAMPHETAMINES AND MARIJUANA. CALL 462-0946 TO SETUP AN APPOINTMENT FOR THE KITS.
The kits test for six (6) substances
Cocaine – stays in system for 24 to 72 hours
Methamphetamines – stay in system for 24 to 96 hours
Marijuana (THC) – stays in system for 1-3 days if a light user, 10-30 days if a heavy user
Opiates – stay in system 24 to 72 hours
Benzodiazepine – stays in system for 1 to 2 weeks
Amphetamine – stays in system 24 to 72 hours
The testing set that the Council sells requires a minimum sample of urine as noted on the side of the cup. There are 5 validity tests – ensure that the sample urine is valid by reading the results of all 5. Samples can be altered via substitution, diluting or adding adulterants that mask the drug being tested. The 5 validity tests in our kits test for these alterations
- Temperature – make sure that the temperature of the sample is within range
- Creatinine – normal creatinine in the sample shows an undiluted sample – the color should be rust/red/orange in color, not tan
- Specific Gravity – this tests for sample dilution – normal color should be green, not blue or yellow
- Oxidant – testing for the presence of oxidants – color should be white/cream/beige, not blue, orange or brown
- Control – above the Test lines there should be a solid line for the Control.
If any of the invalid results occur you have a bad sample – throw out and start over.
Follow the 5 steps on the How To Conduct the Test to read the test. Be sure and take the cup to a private room and close the door (your bedroom). Wait the allotted time, read the results and determine what you will say to your child. How to use the test.